Search This Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Christmas or X-Mas

Surprised to read some of these comments on this Disney-site. Just like the results from Tuesday's election, how many referring to Christmas as xmas call themselves Catholics --were the same voting for some of the people elected or for or against Catholic amendments? I guess some of these folks dont feel they have any consquences any longer. I guess also it is part of the 'dumming-down' of at least US culture. Any Keep Christ in Christmas and remember Jesus is the reason for the Season:

X-mas as I celebrate Christ in my life everyday in my own way.

"X" is a symbol for Christ. Check out the paraments, the altars, the pulpits and lecterns in Roman Catholic, Lutheran and Anglican/Episcopalian churches. One will see "X" a whole lot of times. It means Christ -- taken from the first letter of the word in the original Greek. Often you might see "X" & "P" superimposed on each other -- the Chi Rho -- meaning Christ the King.It isn't censoring anything -- so have a Merry Xmas, whether you are a Xian or not.

It's a shame that you don't think that X died for your sins, because I know X died for mine. When I was baptized the pastor made the sign of the "X" on my forehead as an eternal reminder of X's claim on my life. It's the same mark I place upon the foreheads of those I baptize as a Lutheran pastor.We do celebrate X's birth on Xmas Day, even if that wasn't the actual day that X was born -- and there is little or no evidence from the early Xian Church to suggest that the date was chosen in order to supplant the pagan festival of Saturnalia.
__________________Neil

I'm sort of fond of Mythmas. I celebrate a winter holiday, with a tree and Santa.
__________________Linda

HOW do assumingly intelligent adults still have a problem with XMas - IT MEANS THE SAME THING!!!!!!! I use them interchangably - there is no difference. And believe me, I'm one of the most religious people you'd meet.

I use both.. Christmas or Xmas... just like Birthday or Bday. I don't think there is any right or wrong in this.

I use it interchangably, since I am a non-Christian. Besides, Christmas isn't nearly as fun as Festivus! Now where's my Festivus Pole?:look:TOV

Xmas, but I'm not Xian, so maybe it doesn't count. (even when I was, it didn't bother me)

Who cares...I can NOT fathom how this is a big deal to people. It is an abbriviation. A short cut a what ever. Every year on the Dis we go through this and every year we get the 'people are taking the Christ out of Christmas' blah blah blah. No really they aren't...it isn't that malicous or even that thoughtout. It is laziness. It is typing 4 letters instead of 9. It REALLY IS that simple. So I'm firmly in the Xmas camp when typing on a message board. I'm a lazy typest!

Merry $mas and Happy Holidays. $ has been the reason for the season for decades now.

I'm tired of Christians trying to force themselves down everyone's throat. I've always been a very religous person. I used be a "bible quizzer" and all that stuff, but I've never felt the need to go around making other people feel silly for saying things like "Xmas" or "The Holiday Season". I mean, to me Holiday Season is the best term, being as we're not JUST celebrating Christ's birth, but a whole plethora of other cultural Holidays.

I prefer X-MESS but that's just me

1 comment:

Gerry S said...

Now, there was some in the KEEP CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS crowd:

Christmas. If I'm too lazy to write out the word, I have no business calling myself a Christian.

Definitely Christmas. To me, 'X-mas' is a stupid word like 'thru'. Misspelled just to get attention.

Not to mention the fact that the word Christmas is a religious expression, and using X-mas is just a religious censorship. Try censoring a different religion's holiday and see how far you get... you shouldn't do it to a Christian holiday either. It's just wrong.

Also, can you imagine actually saying the word "X-mas"? It just doesn't have the same joyous ring to it.

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas. X did not die for my sins. X was not born on Christmas day. And I do not celebrate the birth of X.

True, but I don't write in Greek. Therefore, if I'm using an X, I'm taking a shortcut. I don't personally find it acceptable.

CHRISTmas for me too!!!!

Christmas all the way.

X-mas takes the Christ out of CHRISTmas.
If you're too lazy to write it out... christ-x

Don't take the CHRIST out of CHRISTmas people, it's already been taken outta everything else

I celebrate CHRISTMAS!

As a Christen I was always taught to never take Christ out of Christmas. When you do it's just another day of the year.

Christmas is celebrating the birth of Our Lord and Savior.

I often wonder in a secular society where religion means nothing, and you don't celebrate CHRISTMAS and you celebrate Xmas. What are you celebrating then? The Winter Solstice, or winter itself, or just a holiday season. Christmas is a time to celebrate, So what is your celebration?

As a christen I do not celebrate other religion's holidays. I'm aware of them and respect other for their beliefs and celebrations.

In my house we celebrate Christmas-"The word became Man"

Kepp Christ in Christmas
Jesus is the reason for the season.

It bugs me all the catalogs coming out now which are called holiday issues not Christmas issue. Is there another holiday we are celebrating? What is the reason for the Holiday issues filled with holiday trees?

If some 90% of people in the US celebrate Christmas whom are they worried about insulting?