Search This Blog

Friday, November 10, 2006

City of Bowie

Bowie Memories: Bowie is an incredible city of people ready and willing to help
By Sam Fatzinger
This is an incredible city of helpers - the people who made Bowie what it was, what it is and what it will be. Some are paid, some are not; most don't even know who they are, but all make this town a pleasant place to live. As anyone does, I have my favorites.
The Bowie trash men are high on my list, or should I say waste removers, sanitation workers or refuse employees? Whatever the correct term, they are second to none. I know I can't be the only person in Bowie who thinks they are the best. Is there anything they won't take? They are kind and friendly, too, always waving and saying hello to me and my kids. They always bring up my trash cans, which are plenty in a house of 12. Or is it because they feel sorry for me because I am usually pregnant or holding a baby?My kids get a kick out of the fact that when we are driving through town, we'll see two of the trash men that I remember from childhood in Tulip Grove. Yes, it is hard to believe they have been doing this for 30 years. My kids think I'm ancient and probably didn't even have trash men "back then."Another list-topper is the Bowie Library staff. Especially, the children's department, where I spend much of my time. "Ms. T" and the rest of the staff are like magicians when I need something. I just give them a topic, an author or age range, and they produce a new favorite book for our collection each time.I am sure I am not the only one who remembers the legacy of "Miss Peggy" and her 2-year-old program. One of our saddest memories is when she moved.As we move up to the young adult area with my older kids, I sometimes have to hide my face from the librarian who was there when I was a young, noisy student. The entire staff, from the volunteers to the check-out people, are kind and helpful.The mail carriers are a very important part of our Bowie family, especially when my kids were younger and I was at home with no adult conversation. I still remember the shocked look on our young mail lady's face when, seeing her walk up through our big Cape Cod window, I rushed to the door to say hello. When I started a conversation with her she was shocked (or maybe overwhelmed). Then I explained that I was home with six kids under 8 and just wanted someone to talk to.Then there was the memorable time I opened the door to see a substitute mailman who was retired but helping out. When I exclaimed that he was my mailman growing up, he asked my last name. When I said Lancaster, he promptly replied, "3009 Twisting Lane." Now that's what I call service. He even returned months later to pay his respects when my dad died. He remembered taking quick breaks during his route to visit or have an iced tea with him.My kids would be disappointed if I didn't mention their favorite mailman, Jim. Every day Jim would talk to them about whoever was celebrating a birthday (which is often around here), or if mom had the baby yet. At every goodbye, Jim would say, "And no having fun." By the way, Jim, we are always having fun and we miss you as our mailman.Let me quickly touch on all the different Bowie fire departments. They are all very hospitable when you stop by for a visit with the kids. They are eager to talk to them, show off the trucks and uniforms, and sometimes let them climb on the truck. The firefighters even stopped by for a visit at my son's sixth birthday party. (And not because I burned his cake.)I can't forget about the crossing guards who help our children arrive safe to school and others who make this town run like clockwork.What about the paper carriers who actually put the paper on the front porch like they are supposed to? When was the last time you thanked them or gave them a tip?I could write a novel about the many clergy, teachers and coaches who have made Bowie what it is and who I am. That is a compliment, by the way.The priests and pastors in this town keep us inspired and guide us to be better community helpers. I know my pastor, Monsignor Charles Parry, is one of Bowie's biggest cheerleaders.Monsignor John Hogan was my childhood pastor and a part of the Bowie community for over 20 years. He was like a father to me. The kind of father who tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.Teachers deserve more than our thanks as they try to keep our youth well educated and wise. The classroom is a difficult place with the lack of respect these tireless molders of our future receive. Not to mention all the school volunteers who help out with reading, tutoring or keeping the school running smoothly with low funds.I apologize to the teachers at Tulip Grove, Belair Junior High, Tasker and Bowie High who I had in my youth and any trouble I may have caused. As a mom, I see the importance of education and the respect these community helpers should get.What about the unsung heroes who go without notice? This town is crawling with them. Sometimes you need to look in the most unusual places.There are people who try to pick up the trash in our town. Especially the kind woman who spends hours and hours each week cleaning up Route 197 and the surrounding area. Poor Judge Leo Green Jr. never gets a full workout jogging since he ends up picking up trash every 10 feet. Let's all pitch in and clean up .Neighbors are the best community helpers. They're the ones who keep this town glued together. My neighbors are the best. Just the fact that they haven't moved away from my wild brood of 10 crazy kids shows they are amazing. They are always there to help me out. In particular the kind matronly ladies around town who help me out with kind words, offers of help and prayers. Women like Cathie Aberg, who always have a kind word, a funny joke and a bag of goodies for the kids.Let's not forget parents … especially the ones who tirelessly continue to teach their children manners. I received an e-mail with the funniest sign ever to be seen in a store: "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy." I love that.If we all work together to say a kind word, give a little smile, help out a neighbor, give encouragement to each other and stop criticizing and complaining about the way Bowie is turning out, then maybe we can keep it the kind of town we want our grandchildren to live in.I know I forgot a multitude of community helpers. Keep the positive comments coming and keep smiling.---comment@bladenews.com
Published 11/09/06, Copyright © 2006 The Bowie Blade

No comments: