Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Boys Basketball 9-1 record

Great end to the season yesterday with end of season win and pizza as well as the trophies.

As far as I am concerned we finished 9-1 and deserve to be the champs.

Regardless, fun and enjoyable season--everyone involved should be proud. I enjoyed coaching and being around all and I think all enjoyed each other's company. I think this was shown when we played. It also made practice more fun as well--knowing it was a fun group of kids whom basically got along and liked each other. I think it rare as well that I don't think we practiced with less than 8 guys showing up/ especially games/ and were only without one for pictures. A team/ coach has got to love that!

I think this key. I coach/ manage a men's soccer team as well and instill that we must keep it fun plus remember it is all good exercise. Winning is the bonus with those two.

Yes, perhaps a little lucky on maybe one or two of those early wins--but also for one quarter when we fell asleep a couple week's back when we lost we could of earned us a perfect record.

Parents thanks again for the support during the season and the end of season card and gift was well appreciated as well.

Gerry

6 comments:

Gerry S said...

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: BBall update 2/4/07


Thanks Pat for all of your work this season

We won our game yesterday (8 to 5) vs. the fellow team with the 8-1 regular season record. We celebrated our great and fun season with some pizza and our new trophies.

I am not sure how that team got all those 'big' kids on one team. They seemed more geared for football than basketball. Not sure, but I seem to recall a team like this in the past as well. My two cents is they play very physical. I guess further proof is I had to sub out three of my kids since they got hurt during the game. Some complained of trash talking/ intimidation as well. On a breakaway, I was worried that they were going to hurt my guy with the ball if they continued to drive to the basket.

I know in at least the school system they are cracking down on bullying and think this should be the same in the intramural sports system as well. We should be making school/ sports team 'safe' for all.

Thanks again for your good work.

Ill call to see when I can drop off the equipment

Gerry

Gerry S said...

Gerry - thanks for your comments on the bullying/aggressive behavior of the team we played yesterday. I know for sure that Brian was targeted by one boy (I believe he was #92) using EXTREMELY inappropriate profanity on the court. At one point he was reduced to tears of frustration in the third quarter. I was happy to see the boys hold it together until the end, and even happier that the refs had the common sense to end the game when they did. Thanks again for all your time and energy for the boys this season. Hope to see you again.

Wendy

Gerry S said...

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: RE: 9-1 finish


Way to go Gerry but not as good as my undefeated team you were on with Gunther Baby !!

Gerry S said...

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: BBall update 2/4/07


Hi Gerry and Pat,

I was just emailing with a question? Why do our team trophies say runner up when we had the best record in the league, and only lost to the team we played yesterday earlier. We won yesterday, which gave us a 9-1 record, versus their 8-2 record. Anyway you look at it, we split with this other team, and lost to no one else. They can not say the same. Please explain.

Thanks,
Ken

Gerry S said...

Gerry:

thank you for the pics and the wonderful season.

As for the trash-talking and bullying-- your well-coached-team w/ their composure and play silenced all of their poor sportsmanship.

willie & ryan

Gerry S said...

Gerry -

Thanks again for all you did this season. Ben really had a good time and seemed to improve quite a bit over the season. We really appreciated having such a great team and coach.